Table of Contents
NFV and SDN are two important concepts for today’s and future network. So, why are they used together? To understand this, let’s firtly look at their main benefits.
SDN (Sotware-Defined Networking),
• Offer a new architecture by decoupling Control Plane and Data Plane
• Add programmability capability to the network
• Reduces the cost of Data plane, simplify Forwarding
NFV (Network Function Virtualization),
• Offer a new network by decoupling Functionality and Capacity
• Provide elasticity to the future networks
• Reduce heterogeneity of the networks
Taking all things into account, we can think that, SDN as a “Software in the Network”, and NFV as a “Network in the Software”.
Both NFV and SDN is developed for the similar roles. Each technology reduces the Operational Costs and provide more effective, scalable, secure and user friendly view to the future networks. Using Virtualization and the Cloud are two important key similar characteristics of these technologies. Both technology use cloud, virtualization and automation to reduce OPEX and CAPEX.