Multicast IP Addressing
Multicast Addresing is the addressing that is used for Multicast Groups. We can divide Multicast Addressing into two:
- IPv4 Multicast Addressing
- IPv6 Multicast Addresing
These addresses identifies the destination of Multicast traffic. In other words, they show the Multicast Groups. The Multicast Source adresses uses normal addresses.
For example for IPv4, Multicast Group Addresses and the Multicast Source
- 0.0.0 – 184.108.40.206 Multicast Group Address Range
- 0.0.0 – 220.127.116.11 Source Address Range
Let’s see these both of these Multicast Addresses.
IPv4 Multicast Addresses
IPv4 Multicast Addresses are the D Class IPv4 addresses between 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124. These address blocks are used for different Multicast purposes. IANA manages these address blocks
There are different sub ranges in Multicast Group Addresses. Acording to the IANA records, these Multicast Group Addresses are :
- Local Network Control Block (126.96.36.199 – 188.8.131.52)
- Internetwork Control Block (184.108.40.206 – 220.127.116.11)
- AD-HOC Block I (18.104.22.168 – 22.214.171.124)
- RESERVED (126.96.36.199-188.8.131.52)
- SDP/SAP Block (184.108.40.206-220.127.116.11)
- AD-HOC Block II (18.104.22.168-22.214.171.124)
- RESERVED (126.96.36.199-188.8.131.52)
- DIS Transient Groups 184.108.40.206-220.127.116.11)
- RESERVED (18.104.22.168-22.214.171.124)
- Source-Specific Multicast Block (126.96.36.199-188.8.131.52)
- GLOP Block (184.108.40.206-220.127.116.11)
- AD-HOC Block III (18.104.22.168-22.214.171.124)
- Unicast-Prefix-based IPv4 Multicast Addresses (126.96.36.199-188.8.131.52)
- Scoped Multicast Ranges (Reserved) (184.108.40.206-220.127.116.11)
- Scoped Multicast Ranges (Organization-Local Scope) (18.104.22.168-22.214.171.124)
For you network certification studies and real life, you ned to know some of these ranges. But as a view, you can use the below table.
In the certification documents generally the below address ranges are shown. So, remembering these blocks can be useful.
- Permanent Multicast (Local Network and Internetwork Control) à0.0.0 – 126.96.36.199
- Source-Specific Multicast (SSM) à0.0.0 – 188.8.131.52
- GLOP Block à0.0.0 – 184.108.40.206
- Scoped Multicast (Private) à0.0.0–220.127.116.11
Permanent Multicast addresses are between 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124. They are used for Routing Protocols or for other low level protocols.
Local Network Control Block Range is the addresses between 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52. Local Network Control Block addresses use TTL value 1. So, multicast routers should not forward any multicast data with destination address.
Some of the example addresses in this group are given below:
- 184.108.40.206 All Hosts
- 220.127.116.11 All Multicast Routers
- 18.104.22.168 DVMRP Routers
- 22.214.171.124 OSPF Routers
- 126.96.36.199 OSPF Designated Routers
- 188.8.131.52 RIP2 Routers
- 184.108.40.206 IGRP Routers
- 220.127.116.11 DHCP Server/Relay Agent
- 18.104.22.168 All PIM Routers
- 22.214.171.124 VRRP
If you want to reach all Hosts on the network, you need to use 126.96.36.199,
If you want to reach all Routers on the network, you need to use 188.8.131.52,
If you want to reach all OSPF Routers on the network, you need to use 184.108.40.206,
If you want to reach all OSPF DRs on the network, you need to use 220.127.116.11,
If you want to reach all EIGRP Routers on the network, you need to use 18.104.22.168,
If you want to reach all PIMv2 Routers on the network, you need to use 22.214.171.124,
If you want to reach all ISIS Routers on the network, you need to use 126.96.36.199-21,
If you want to reach all IGMPv3 Devices on the network, you need to use 188.8.131.52.
Internetwork Control Block Range is the addresses between 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11. They use a TTL value higher than 1.
- 18.104.22.168 VMTP Managers Group
- 22.214.171.124 SGI-Dogfight
- 126.96.36.199 Rwhod
- 188.8.131.52 NSS-Name Service Server
- 184.108.40.206 SUN NIS+ Information Service
- 220.127.116.11 Any Private Experiment
- 18.104.22.168 DVMRP on MOSPF
- 22.214.171.124 Mtrace
- 126.96.36.199 RSVP-encap-1
- 188.8.131.52 RSVP-encap-2
- 184.108.40.206 Cisco-RP-Announce
- 220.127.116.11 Cisco-RP-Discovery
- 18.104.22.168 Mbone-VCR-Directory
- 22.214.171.124 Tibco Multicast1
- 126.96.36.199 Tibco Multicast2
Source-Specific Multicast (SSM) Range is the Multicast addresses between 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206. These multicast addresses are used for Source-Specific Multicast (SSM) Applications and Protocols. SSM provide an efficient multicast routing with its mechanism. Because, with SSM, host can select the Multicast Group that it get traffic.
GLOP Block Range is the Multicast addresses between 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168.These Multicast address block can be used by the companies that has registered Autonomous System Number (ASN). With this address block, each company can have up to 256 Global Multicast Addresses.
Scoped Multicast Range are the Private block of Multicast Address Range between 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199. They are like Private IP address and they can be used only within the network, not globally on internet.
You can reach the whole Multicast addresses assigned by IANA below: